
The highly anticipated Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier between Nigeria and Libya took a dramatic turn on Monday when Nigeria’s squad was left stranded at an airport in Libya for hours without basic necessities.
As the team arrived at Al-Abraq Airport, they were shocked to discover that their chartered flight had been diverted from Benghazi, the original destination.
The players and officials were prevented from leaving the airport, sparking widespread outrage.
- Kalindo says the cry for passports continues in MalawiBy Vincent Gunde Political activist Bon Kalindo, says despite Deputy Minister for Homeland Security Norman Paulosi Chisale visited the Immigration…
- Kamangila says Mutharika will be the greatest President in AfricaBy Vincent Gunde Lawyer and Human Rights Defender Alexious Kamangila has written a food for thought on his face book…
- BMTV, Ntanyiwa joins hands for foot soldiers concerns to MutharikaBy Vincent Gunde Bakili Muluzi TV television station and Limpopo FMs online radio’s Comrade Ntanyiwa, have joined hands reminding President…
- Limpopo FM urges Malawians to protect K7 trillion to corrupt JudgesBy Vincent Gunde Limpopo FM online radio station has urged Malawians regardless of political party affiliations to do whatever they…
- NBM plc supports ESCOM PIESA conference with K10 millionBy Suleman Chitera National Bank of Malawi (NBM) plc has donated K10 million to the Electricity Supply Corporation of Malawi…
- Jatta Rallies Africa to Unite as He Makes Historic Address to Malawi ParliamentBy Suleman Chitera Speaker of the National Assembly of The Gambia, Fabakary Tombong Jatta, has delivered a powerful and historic…
- Kamangila Explodes Over New Tax Plans, Says MRA Failures Are Bleeding Malawi DryBy Suleman Chitera Renowned lawyer Alexious Kamangila has launched a blistering attack on government’s fiscal direction, warning that introducing new…
- Pension Fund Hotel Deal Sparks Transparency Storm as Price Balloons by K100 BillionBy Suleman Chitera Serious governance and fiduciary concerns have engulfed the proposed acquisition of the Amaryllis Hotel in Blantyre by…
- Muslims urged to embrace Ramadan with generosity and prayerBy Aubrey Thom Vakhani Muslim Association of Malawi (MAM) National Chairman, Sheikh Idrissa Muhammad has urged Muslims in the country…
“We’ve experienced stuff before playing away in Africa, but this is disgraceful behavior. Even the Tunisian pilot who managed to navigate the last-minute change to an airport not fit for our plane to land had never seen something like this before,” Nigeria’s captain, William Troost-Ekong, posted on social media.
Leicester City’s Wilfred Ndidi alleged that the team was being held hostage.
“This is not football. Very embarrassing. Hostage to a national team. Disgrace,” he posted on Instagram.
The Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) quickly sprang into action, announcing that the team would boycott the match in protest.
“The delegation of Nigeria to Tuesday’s 2025 AFCON qualifier against Libya still remained at the Al-Abraq Airport 12 hours after landing in Libya,” the NFF stated.
Libya had previously alleged “poor treatment” during the reverse fixture in Nigeria, claims that were rejected by the NFF.
However, the latest incident has raised serious concerns about player safety and the organization of AFCON qualifiers.
Nigeria’s victory over Libya on Friday had put them top of their group, six points clear of their opponents.
But now, the postponement has cast a shadow over the team’s progress.
“This is unacceptable and a clear violation of player rights,” said Victor Osimhen, Nigeria talisman. “We stand with our players and demand immediate action from CAF.”
The incident has sparked calls for an immediate investigation into the circumstances surrounding the postponement.
CAF and FIFA have been urged to take swift action to ensure player safety and prevent similar incidents in the future.