There are fears that there could be fake fertilizer on some markets in Lilongwe as Kanengo police have confiscated 24 bags filled with sandy soil coated as fertiliser.
Kanengo Police Spokesperson, Gresham Ngwira says some farmers have already fallen victim after buying the fertilizer at K58, 000 per 50 kilogram bag, packed in Export Trading Group (ETG) bags.
ETG Operations Manager, Kennedy Msiska, says the company learnt of the issue through the police, but has distanced the company from the incident, stressing that the company deals only with approved outlets, not vendors.
Msiska says there is a high possibility that some unscrupulous vendors are reusing ETG labelled bags after farmers use the original fertilizer.
Meanwhile, the police are still investigating to trace the source, but they have warned the public to be alert and provide information if they suspect anyone involved in the act.
- Malawi passes IMF test, to get $174m
- Chilima Donates K1 Million To Darts Association Of Malawi
- Police IG Calls Police Officer To Be Professional And Corrupt Free
- Fazili Cheriches Friendly Games Against Seychelles
- Kumwembe Shines As Nomads Go Top